Training Widget

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Well that was better

Day 47 - October 23, 2007

Yesterday I mentioned having some sciatic pain. Well, you may have guessed from my overall pace that it was more than some pain. In fact, a few times it felt like a root canal in my hip. I've only ever had this happen one other time. In that instance, I was running down Alderman past the stadium and my hip completely locked up. The pain was so sharp that my leg would not come all the way forward. That is a tough thing to realize mid stride. It looks pretty comical to try and get your trail leg back in under you before your face hits the pavement. Fortunately, with some stretching, I was able to at least limp back to finish the run.

Yesterday, wasn't quite that bad, but close. I really had to go slow on the down hills and keep my stride short. The pain would come and go, as long as I was careful with my stride length.

I was a bit nervous about tonight's run and the prospect of the pain returning. I decided to run short loops and never get more than half a mile from the house. I also decided to back off the mileage for a few days and let the inflammation calm itself. There was very little sharp pain tonight, just the occasional reminder that I had "bruised" it pretty good the day before. I'll still take it easier tomorrow. Hopefully it will be OK for Saturday's race.

Day: 47 .....Time/Date: 7:45 PM 10/23/2007 .....Weather: Clear, 73F
Run: Carnation Loops .....Miles: 2.6 .....Time: 19:42..... Pace: 7:35 min/mile
Miles to Date: 181.7 .....Total Running Time: 22:43:56

No comments: