Training Widget

Sunday, October 7, 2007

Base Building

Day 31 - October 7, 2007

When training for a race, or building a running program, it is important to establish a solid base. The old cliche of the pyramid works well for this. The goal of the base building phase is to build your strength and endurance while minimizing the risk of injury. For a season of high school cross country, my coach wanted 300 miles of base running before the first day of camp. In college it was closer to 500 miles. I'd like to get at least 150 miles in before I think about running fast again. That doesn't mean I won't run a 5K here or there, but the expectations in those races will be much lower.

So, for the first 6-8 weeks, I intend to slowly bring my weekly mileage up to training levels, then start pushing to get faster. For now, my goal on most runs is to just keep moving. I know this will cause me to fall behind on my projection of 4400 miles in 1000 days, but I will keep the streak going injury free, and make up those miles in the months to come.

Chris

Day: 31 Time/Date: 12:00PM 10/07/2007 Weather: Clear 82F
Run: Beazely Miles: 5.1 Time: 38:38 Pace: 7:35 min/mile
Miles to Date: 116.4 Total Running Time: 14:38:20

No comments: