Training Widget

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The worst weather ever

Day 82 - November 27, 2007

I am no longer going to complain about the weather when I run because it will never be worse than tonight. The wind was blowing about 30 miles an hour to the point that running into a headwind was almost impossible. At one point I actually felt my body begin to lift. So why run in these conditions?

Well, admittedly, when I first walked out of the hotel, the wind was tough to take. But I thought I could get a 2-3 mile run in and it wouldn't be that bad. My running friend and I headed down the side street to avoid the traffic and the wind appeared to stop. In fact, after about a half mile, even the temperature didn't feel that bad. So the 2-3 mile run got stretched out to a 20 minute out and 20 minute back run. Despite some soreness from yesterday's run, I thought no big deal.

At the turn around point, the error of our ways hit us like a ton of bricks. As we turned back down Main Street, the wind was just ferocious. Apparently, running with the wind, we didn't notice it blowing the leaves past us, kind of like running down a long steady decline. But, turning around now, the wind was ferocious. To make matters worse, it started to sleet. Tiny ice pellets began to tear into my cheeks and eyes. I was forced to run head down and eyes squinted shut most of the way back. It was miserable. Ive never run in wind like that before, and the stinging ice pellets really were a nice touch.

So, if I can run through that kind of crappy weather, I will never have an excuse (short of hurricane or tornado) for not running due to weather. I can't wait to see what Buffalo ha in store for me tomorrow. Until then...

Chris

Day: 82 .....Time/Date: 5:00 PM 11/27/2007 .....Weather: Wind, Sleet, 36F
Run: Waverly, Main, 240 .....Miles: 5.4..... Time: 39:55 .....Pace: 7:24 min/mile
Miles to Date: 335.3 .....Total Running Time: 41:24:10

No comments: