Training Widget

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Time to Share One of Running's Dirty Secrets

Day 75 - November 20, 2007

So here's something they never tell you when they recommend starting a running program...nipple burn hurts. Yep - they warn you about shin splints, side stitches, runner's knee, plantar fasciitis, and sciatic nerve pain. But no one ever tells you to protect your nipples.

Back when I was running marathons, I learned that lesson the hard way, but learned to protect myself with lots of pre-run band aids and vaseline. Sunday, I went out for my first 10 mile run in over a year. When I got home and walked into the house, the wife says, "that's gotta hurt". I looked down and there were the tell-tale signs - bloody trails running down my shirt.

So, for the last two days, I've been suffering through stinging showers and rubbing shirts. It has not been fun. And nothing is much more disgusting than scabbed up nipples.

So, hear me now - when the temperatures are cool and you are planning a long run, take some protection. First, where wicking clothing. Don't let your shirt be soaking wet for the entire run. Another trick is to use band-aids to help prevent rubbing. It sounds goofy, but it works.

So there you have it - chaffing is the enemy - avoid it anyway you can.

Chris

Day: 74 .....Time/Date: 8:30 PM 11/20/2007 .....Weather: Clear, 59F
Run: Geranium-Amicus .....Miles: 3.5..... Time: 25:15 .....Pace: 7:13 min/mile
Miles to Date: 307.4 .....Total Running Time: 37:59:16

No comments: