Training Widget

Friday, September 7, 2007

Introductions and why.

Day 1 - September 7, 2007

Hey - and congratulations on finding this needle in the blogosphere. This morning I decided I needed some motivation. My fitness running has become pretty stale - downright pitiful this summer. To say I've been streaky would be the understatement of the year. After running for 13 straight days, I decided to take a day off - well 1 becomes 2, 2 becomes 4, and 18 days later I'm wondering if I even remember how to run.

But, today is different. I actually got out of bed when the alarm went off, put on my shoes, and set out for a 3+ mile run. And it went well. I cruised up the gentle slope for the first half mile, stayed a pretty even pace for the next half mile, then turned onto Davis RD. That's when it hit me. Something about the sound of crushed gravel passing beneath each stride reminded me of why I love to run. As the sun approached the horizon and the sky started to blush, I looked out across the pasture passing on my left, and there in the mist of ground fog were two deer. Ever alert they watched me pass. It was a postcard moment for me.

As I entered the woods, I began to wonder how many other moments like this have I been missing. Does an extra 30 minutes of sleep really matter or would I better off immersed in the wonders each morning has to offer? As you may have guessed from the title, I've decided to skip the extra 30 minutes and get my lazy butt out of bed.

Now comes the hard part - motivation. Sure it is easy on a perfect morning like today, but what happens when its dark, 12 degrees and windy? I needed a hook - something that I would be accountable to. So - inspired by Reid Stowe & Soanya Ahmad's amazing adventure: http://1000daysatsea.blogspot.com/ I decided that I was going to try and run everyday for 1000 days straight. This will not be an easy task for me - I like my days off. But never the less - I'm going for it and we'll see how far I get.

Over the next several days, I'll share my runs, my experiences, and the bits of running wisdom I have gained over the years. Some days, the posts will get pretty short, but I'll do my best to post something new everyday.

Will I make it 1000 days? Hard to say right now, but when I run tomorrow, it will be 1 day closer to achieving the goal.

Thanks for sticking with me this far. I hope you'll follow me on this 3 year journey.

Until tomorrow,
Chris

Day Time/Date Run Distance Time Weather Today's weight
1 6:15 9/7/2007 Davis Run 3.4 0:26:39 Clear, 70F 175

No comments: