Training Widget

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Death by MP3

Day 104 – December 19, 2007

Today was a relatively quick hitter day. I wanted a little more than my minimum two miles, but rolling out of bed early enough to go much further didn’t happen. So I settled for a simple 3ish at a comfortable pace. Traffic was tricky this morning and I actually took a dive into the ditch to avoid a pair of cars traveling in opposite directions. It was, as they say, impeccable timing that they both arrived at the same time, on a curve, after cresting a small knoll. Fortunately, while they had no idea of my presence, I could hear the car from behind coming and could see the headlights of the oncoming car reflecting off the trees above and knew that I had but one option.

Moments like these are why I could never run with headphones on. I have to be able to hear cars coming so I don’t do something dumb. When I saw the headlights approaching, my first thought was to cross to the other side of the road. There was very little shoulder on my side and I knew that the car was going to break over the hill and I would be right there. Just as I started to make my move, I heard the car coming from behind. If I had been jamming along to “Eye of the Tiger” I’d probably be vulture dessert.

I’ll save my rant about forgoing personal safety because people can’t run without their IPods for another day.

Chris

(You may have to turn your sarcasm filters off to read the comment below)

PS – For those of you too young to even know what Eye of the Tiger is – rent Rocky III – it’s a classic with two of the greatest actors of all time: Sylvester Stallone and Mr. T.

Day: 104 Time/Date: 6:30 AM 12/19/2007 Weather: Cloudy, 30F
Run: Carnation-Swift-Davis Miles: 2.9 Time: 21:30 Pace: 7:25 min/mile
Miles to Date: 403.2 Total Running Time: 49:33:41

No comments: