Training Widget

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Wind Chill

Day 136 - January 20, 2008

Even with the colder temperatures today, I still planned to go for a long run. I wanted to run at least 8 miles to keep a steady increase in weekly miles. I bundled up with multiple layers, hat and gloves. I was not going to be deterred. That is until I took a blast of winter chill square in the face. The wind chill was brutal and down near 10 degrees. I still started went forward with my plan, but after about 3 minutes I decided to cut the run short.

I decided to make today's run a tempo run with 3 minute pick-ups. After a 4-5 minute warm-up, I set my watch to beep every three minutes. For the first 3 minutes, I pick up the pace to race pace and run as far as I can. When the watch beeps again, I have 3 minutes to recover and be ready for the next pick-up. Usually this means 30 seconds of barely moving and then gradually increasing the pace back to normal training pace. With only going 3.5 miles today that meant 3 pick-ups which were enough to knock the snot out of me. But I like this type workout because it really simulates racing conditions - there's nothing like having to run fast uphill.

Day: 136 Time/Date: 11:50 AM 1/20/2008 Weather: Clear, Windy, 22F
Run: N Carnation-Davis Miles: 3.6 Time: 25:32 Pace: 7:06 min/mile
Miles to Date: 504.4 Total Running Time: 61:44:02

No comments: