Training Widget

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Run when you can - Run more later if you can

Day 406 - February 10, 2010

That was my mantra today. With the snow overnight, I got up early to shovel out and get ready for work. At 5:30 it was still snowing hard, but I shoveled the drive in about 40 minutes. That left me with a dilemma. There was just enough time to either crawl back into bed and catch a few Z's or change my clothes and head out for a 2 mile run.

Normally on Wednesdays we run as a group after work, but today's forecast was for some more snow followed by gusty winds of 30-50 MPH. My gut feeling was there was a good chance the running group would bail today and I didn't want to be running in the dark with those kinds of winds. So I changed my clothes and got my two miles in. I figured if the running group did go, I could run a short second run and bump my miles up where they should be for a Wednesday, and if they didn't, at least I had another day logged.

I arrived at work, grabbed a quick cup of coffee, turned on my computer and found out that while I was driving in, for the first time in at least five years, corporate decided to close the office. SCORE! I finished my coffee, chatted for a few minutes with the six other people who had managed to get into the office today, and then packed up and was home before lunch. That gave me plenty of time for a second run. It was great. Total mileage for the day was 6.2 - not bad for another snow day. Who says all this snow is bad.

As a bonus, today's mileage put me over 1600 miles for the running streak.

No comments: