Training Widget

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Turkey Trot

Day 330 - November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope everyone got out to run this morning before the parades and eating festivities begin. I started the day at the first annual Earlysville Turkey Trot 5K and kids half mile. I convinced my girls this would be a fun way to start Thanksgiving. Both girls came with me and they did great - they even showed a little competitiveness passing some other kids in the last 100 meters.




























As for me, I'm pretty pleased with my performance. I ran my fastest 5K of the year, in 19:22 (unofficial watch time). I placed 6th overall, and 1st in my age group. I felt pretty good right up until the last hill at 2.5 miles. What a nasty place to put a hill. I have to admit that I probably gave up a few seconds there.

For a first year race, it went pretty well. The race directors were completely overwhelmed with the registration and sign in, but to be fair, they only anticipated ~90 runners. Everyone was surprised when more than 275 people showed up. I'll plan on running it again next year and hopefully my girls will too.

No comments: