Training Widget

Monday, November 16, 2009

Seven Miles on Dickerson

Day 320 - November 16, 2009

After work tonight, I took advantage of the warmer than normal temperatures and logged 7 miles on Dickerson Road. Dickerson is a great place to run but has many challenging hills. The toughest comes between miles 4.5 and 6 where you gain 200 feet of elevation climbing from the river back up to the top of the research park. The hill isn't that steep, but steadily climbs for all but maybe 200 yards of that mile and half. For me, that equates to nearly 10 solid minutes of climbing. Mentally, that's a little challenging for me, but I love the endurance benefit.

I normally wouldn't run that far so soon after a 9 mile run but yesterday I was only able to squeeze in 2 miles. That meant a longer run tonight to get my weekly average back up to where it needs to be to get to 1460 by December 31. Hopefully I won't be too sore tomorrow.

The group did meet tonight and three other runners joined me for at least part of the run. I think two of the guys ran 3 miles each, while the 4th, a beginning runner, ran a mile. I find it so much easier to get out and run when I know others are waiting for me. As you all know, the hardest part of any run is usually just getting out the door.

1 comment:

Ace said...

mmmm warm weather in November, gotta love it.