Training Widget

Sunday, April 20, 2008

5 of the scariest minutes

Day 227 - April 20, 2008

On the way home this evening, I had the wife drop me off at the far end of Welsh Run and I ran home. It had rained all day, so I figured I was pretty safe and could be home before dark. I was half right.

It started to rain lightly about half way back which isn't bad for me, but anyone who knows Virginia drivers knows that I was now in the danger zone. I've never seen people drive so bad as they do when it rains around here.

When I turned onto Amicus, it was like every car in Greene had decided it was time to get home and get home fast. Of the probably 50 cars I saw, only one even slowed down, and I think that guy was just checking out my legs. I know his wife was. I decided my best bet was to just run as fast as I could until I could get off the main road, so I just let it fly down the hill, doing my best squirrel impersonation dodging back on forth across the road to avoid as much of the traffic as possible. Fortunately, it only took about 5 minutes to get from Welsh Run to E Daffodil and safety.

Other than that it was a pretty cool run and nice to get in something over 3 miles. I'll take it easy tomorrow, but I'm hoping this will help get my weekly average mileage back above 20 again.

Day: 227 Time/Date: 6:45 PM 4/20/2008 Weather: Light Rain, 59F
Run: Welsh Run Miles: 6.3 Time: 45:38 Pace: 7:15 min/mile
Miles to Date: 771.5 Total Running Time: 94:31:37

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, you caught me, if you're gonna flaunt your legs like that, I'm gonna look :) Glad you made it home safely. I'm only sorry we missed the squirrel impression...