Training Widget

Monday, July 6, 2009

Like the Energizer Bunny

After a long day and mowing the lawn this evening, I really didn't even want to run tonight. I decided I would just put in a minimum 2 miles and take the streak to another day. About three steps into the run, I changed my mind and decided I would run 2 laps of the 1.4 mile loop in the neighborhood. I was proud of myself for pushing it out a little bit more than the minimum, but I was only about half way around the first lap when I started trying to justify only running one lap. Not wanting to be so far behind on my weekly mileage, I gave myself the SIUCB speech - for those that don't remember, SUICB is shorthand for Suck It Up, CryBaby! So when I reached the final turn of the first loop, I manned up and turned left instead of right. I wasn't sure how far I was going to end up running, but I wasn't going to go back by the house and quit at 1.4 miles.

As I continued running away from the house I just kept extending how far the run would ultimately be. In the end, my original 2 mile run ended up being five and a half. Not bad considering if it hadn't been for the streak, I wouldn't have run at all. As I've said many, many times, the hardest mile is the first one.

No comments: