Training Widget

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Buddy Runner App

Day 379 - January 14, 2010

Today was a scheduled easy day so I decided to give the Buddy Runner App a try. I recently switched to Verizon and upgraded my phone to the Motorola Droid and one of the first things I did was look for a running app. The phone has a built in GPS and integrates with Google maps. I downloaded Buddy Runner, but had not given it a try until tonight.

The app worked as advertised, but I have to admit that running with my phone was a bit awkward. I'm sure I can get an arm band or something to make this easier, but I'm not sure it is worth it. The app records your pace and distance and allows you to upload that information, along with elevation changes and calories burned to a dashboard where you can analyze your runs. I like that the run is automatically displayed on a map and that you can see how your pace varies over the course of the run. The elevation feature didn't work very well considering I ran an out and back course (the profile should be symmetrical). I'll probably give the app another try, but for me, I don't see myself using this very often, not because of the app itself, but because of the inconvenience of carrying my phone while I run.

Anyone else using a mobile app for running? If so, what do you think?

2 comments:

Doug said...

I've heard good things about RunKeeper, but have yet to try it. (http://runkeeper.com/)

Chris said...

Thanks Doug, I'll check it out